ADSM-L

Move data performance

2005-05-30 23:54:24
Subject: Move data performance
From: Thomas Gaines <TomGaines AT SYNERGY.COM DOT AU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 13:35:12 +1000
Hi there,

The following pertains to a TSM 5.2 Windows 2003 server installation with
IBM FAStT connected disk:
I am currently attempting to perform a move data (disk to disk) across a
SAN for ~ 600GB disk storage pool, consisting of 4 volumes of about 147GB
each. The diskpool is at 100% and so I am attempting to increase each of
the individual volumes by a specific amount by moving each of the volumes
to a temporary (larger volume), deleting and recreating the original and
then moving the data back. I am getting pretty awful throughput (no more
than 2MB/s). Have attempted file copies across the SAN and getting really
good (expected) throughput. There is no indication of any resource issues
in perfmon. Some TSM info. that may be of interest:

movebatchsize 1000
movesizethresh 2048
Database cache hit pct: 99.79
Database cache wait pct: 0.00

Am also updating the volumes that I am not moving data into to read-only to
avoid TSM attempting to write to them. There is no chance of me obtaining
additional storage to perform a migration (tape or disk) so that is out of
the question. I am beginning to think that it is so slow simply due to the
sheer number of records in the database for this storage pool.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks,

Tom.