ADSM-L

Re: Vmware guest "hot" backups

2005-05-25 11:32:03
Subject: Re: Vmware guest "hot" backups
From: "Stapleton, Mark" <mark.stapleton AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 10:31:32 -0500
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On
Behalf Of Steve Schaub
>My team & I would be interested in speaking with anyone who has been
>successful in using TSM to backup/restore what the database
>folks would call
>a "hot" backup of VMWare guest machines (i.e. backing up the
>.vmdk files while the guest is in redo mode).
>
>We have run several test backup/restores, some less successful
>than others.
>We are using ESX 2.5 currently.
>
>If you have gotten this to work consistantly and would be
>willing to share
>your experience, please email me directly: steve_schaub AT bcbst DOT com
><mailto:steve_schaub AT bcbst DOT com>

Yep, as long as we're talking VMWare ESX. The GSX documentation
explicitly says that the only supported backups of VM occur only when
the VM is shut down prior to backup.

The ESX software allows for a "freeze" of a VM (with the use of a REDO
log) as you describe; while the VM is frozen, the .vmdk file can be
backed up reliably. Once the backup is complete, the log is committed,
and you're done.

What problems are you having?

IBM Certified Advanced Deployment Professional
  Tivoli Storage Management Solutions 2005
IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert (CATE) AIX
Office 262.521.5627