ADSM-L

Re: [spam] Encryption

2005-05-25 05:04:23
Subject: Re: [spam] Encryption
From: David McClelland <David.McClelland AT REUTERS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 09:57:44 +0100
Hi Eric,

You're in luck, as TSM offers various options for encrypting data as it
is sent from the client. Up until TSM 5.3, you were limited to 56bit DES
for BA Client backups where you do have to manage the keys yourself on
the client.

At TSM 5.3 and above, you can have up to 128bit AES backups at the API
level as well (in other words, your TDP backups can be encrypted too) -
these can be managed using 'Transparent Encryption' which means that you
no longer have to manage keys at the client side as they're stored on
the TSM server along with the data.

Hope that helps,

David McClelland
Customer Domain Expert - Transactions