ADSM-L

Encryption

2005-05-24 21:33:05
Subject: Encryption
From: "Jones, Eric J" <eric.j.jones AT LMCO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 21:32:53 -0400
Good Evening.
Running TSM 5.2.2 on AIX 5.2
Clients are a mix of    Solaris 7,8,9   AIX 4.2, AIX 5.2, Windows NT,
Windows 2000 and Windows 2003 most running TSM 5.2.2.
I've been reading the forums and was thinking I would probably not have
to worry about this until now.
I was asked to check and see what it would take to encrypt our data.
I have 2 questions.
1:  Is it a problem to use an encryption device to encrypt the data
before it is sent to the TSM server?    I know I would have to have the
encryption key to restore the data but I was wondering if there were any
problems that I would face.
2:  Can TSM encrypt the data?  I've read 1 article that indicated it was
in TSM 5.3 but I did not see much on 5.2.2 which we are running.  Are
there any potential problems with using TSM to encrypt if it is
possible?  I know if you loose the key your done but other than that.

Thanks for all the help,
Eric