ADSM-L

Re: Virtual tape libraries

2005-05-20 18:29:00
Subject: Re: Virtual tape libraries
From: TSM_User <tsm_user AT YAHOO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 15:29:00 -0700
The VTL's that I have seen set the defaults to the size estimed to the drive as
you suggest but all the ones I've seen you can later this.  For intance on our
EMC CDL's emulating LTO 2 tape drives we set the volume limit to 50 GB.
Further most have a initial setting and incremental growth.  Again on the CDL's
the default is 5 GB.  So even though a VTL volume could grow up to 50 GB it
starts up at 5 GB and grows in those increments.

So are you sure 2 GB is the limit or is that just the incremental growth?

"Wheelock, Michael D" <Michael.Wheelock AT INTEGRIS-HEALTH DOT COM> wrote:
Hi,

Most VTL's that I have encountered emulate a real tape drive (ie. Brand
and model) and thus their cartridge size is based on this (ie. 200 GB
for LTO1, etc). I would find out why this vtl has this limitation.

As to the db growth, others may have a better idea, but I have always
found that adding volumes wasn't nearly as big a deal as adding more
backed up data (ie. If I bring in 20 more servers with 10,000's each,
that overshadows anything else as far as the db is concerned).

Michael Wheelock
Integris Health