ADSM-L

Re: Constant Hot TSM Server

2005-05-16 12:15:34
Subject: Re: Constant Hot TSM Server
From: "Kauffman, Tom" <KauffmanT AT NIBCO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 11:13:41 -0500
Andrew --

Was the problem in recovering the TSM server, or recovering the
applications after the server recovery? What platform/version?

I've been recovering TSM (AIX) in about 4 to 6 hours for several years
now, and recovering SAP/R3 (Oracle) and MS-Exchange to most recent
available backups in 8 to 12 hours additional (R3 is now 1.2 TB).

As for the constant hot server --
1) Server itself
2) Library of sufficient size
3) Leased communication line large enough to handle the data traffic
        (This one will be the killer, depending on what you back up)
4) Increased administration costs

It would probably be much less expensive to work out corrections for
what failed.

Tom Kauffman
NIBCO, Inc