ADSM-L

Re: Novell clustering Documentation

2005-05-10 14:27:05
Subject: Re: Novell clustering Documentation
From: Andrew Ferris <AFerris AT MRL.UBC DOT CA>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 11:25:10 -0700
Hello Timothy,

The documentation for the clustering on the Novell client is... sparse
and a touch old.

We've got two NetWare 6.5 clusters, a 2 node and a 4 node, with ~25
cluster nodes.

We run an instance of the DSMCAD for the sever itself on the standard
port. We then have a DSMCAD instance for each cluster node and they have
port numberrs assigned alphabetically (nodeA 1582, nodeB 1583,....etc).
So the path to web client (the client node URL) would be:

http://[NetWare Cluster resource IP]:[assigned port number]

There's a /Tivoli folder on each cluster node for the .OPT file,
password, and the various logs. Here's a typical .OPT file for a cluster
node:

*  ADMIN Volume

*  Communications settings
*  -------------------------------------------------------

*  Setting Options for the TCP/IP Communication Method
*  -------------------------------------------------------
*
  COMMMETHOD                TCPip
    TCPSERVERADDRESS         [tsm server name]
    TCPPORT                  1500

*  Setting Nodename
*  -------------------------------------------------------

  NODENAME              adminXXXXX
  DOMAIN                ADMIN:
  CLUSTERNODE           YES
  ERRORLOGNAME
                                ADMIN:/Tivoli/dsmerror.log
  SCHEDLOGNAME
                                ADMIN:/Tivoli/schedlog.log
  PASSWORDDIR                           ADMIN:/Tivoli/
  SCHEDMODE                                     POLLING
  HTTPPORT                                      1582

* EXCLUDES
* QUIET

  PASSWORDACCESS GENERATE
  ERRORLOGRETENTION 7
  SCHEDLOGRETENTION 7
  MANAGEDSERVICES WEBCLIENT SCHEDULE

We have the cluster node DSMCADs polling the TSM server every hour for
the backup window so they're not tangled up in the sever schedules.

We've also modified our Cluster Resource Load and Unload scripts. The
DSMCAD gets loaded right at the end of the load script and unloaded
right at the start of the unload script. We add a delay of about 10
seconds to pad that out.

What I need to do is make the cluster DSMCADs load and unload in a more
fine-grained manner. I know some folks copy and rename DSMCAD.NLM to
DSMCAD1.NLM, etc so the cluster scripts can on act on that specific
instance. I hope that helps a bit.

Andrew Ferris
Network Support Analyst
iCAPTURE Research Centre
University of British Columbia

>>> Timothy.Hughes AT OIT.STATE.NJ DOT US 5/10/2005 10:41:01 AM >>>
Hello,

Does anyone have any Good Novell/TSM clustering
Documentation or which I can take a look at? If not
do you know Where I can get some documentation the
latest redbook covering Clustering only covers
Aix, Linux and windows.

Thanks for any replies, suggestions, help etc

Novel 6.5
TSM 5.3.1