ADSM-L

Archives missing from archive list.

2005-05-08 21:44:51
Subject: Archives missing from archive list.
From: Stuart Lamble <adsm AT CAROUSEL.ITS.MONASH.EDU DOT AU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 11:41:25 +1000
Greetings all. This one has me baffled, and whilst I'd normally spend
more time investigating, I'm going on leave tomorrow for three days,
and other parties view this as sufficiently urgent that I want to
resolve it if possible before then. Basically, we have a number of
applications based around Oracle databases (eg: SAP); these are
backed up using the archive facility of TSM (yes, I'm aware of the
inherent contradiction in that statement.)

As an example of the problem, I have logs from the client that claim
that the command:

dsmc archive -description="CDUT_WEEKLY_07/05/05 01:00" -
compression=no -archmc=DDB_WEEKLY_8WR_1  /space/CDUT/data/sis_d4.dbf

completed successfully. Investigating the activity log for the
appropriate time also indicates that the archive completed
successfully. However, if I then run, on the archiving client, the
command:

dsmc q archive / -subdir=yes | grep CDUT_WEEKLY_07

I get back nothing -- there are entries for March or so, but
definitely not for May. In comparison, if I run the command

select description from archive where node_name='(source host)'

and look through the output, I see CDUT_WEEKLY_07/05/05 01:00 in the
list.

All of this combined suggests to me that the data is there; it's just
that the query archive command, for some unknown reason, isn't
reporting it.

Anybody have any suggestions on what to do next?

Many thanks in advance,

Stuart.