ADSM-L

Re: Out of scratch tapes?

2005-05-06 16:17:31
Subject: Re: Out of scratch tapes?
From: Sung Y Lee <sunglee AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 6 May 2005 16:16:51 -0400
Couple of things comes to my mind.

Without knowing what your TSM environment is like it's hard to say..
however, these similar situation might happen.
Out of scratch tapes.  Disk pools fill up to 100%.  Migration from disk to
tape pools fail.. tape copies from onsite to offsite fail.
TSM database backup fails.  Also if you are into faith, praying might help
to.

If you are out of scratch tapes with all of your tapes utilization at 100%,
then you are SOL.
If you are out of scratch tapes with some tapes with less than 100%
utilization then you have some hope.

What can you do.. couple of things

1)select volume_name,stgpool_name,access,pct_reclaim,times_mounted from
volumes where stgpool_name='ur onsite tape pool' order by pct_reclaim
desc

Take highest reclaimable value and perform move data

2) Keep expiration going

3) Stop drm vaulting temporary if you are doing daily DRM.

4) Keep fewer TSM database backups say, you are keeping them onsite for 7
days.. u can try to reduce this # by say keep for 3 days or so.

Sung Y. Lee

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 05/06/2005
09:09:21 AM: