ADSM-L

How to get the best use from TSM with a large disk?

2005-05-06 04:11:28
Subject: How to get the best use from TSM with a large disk?
From: Krzysztof WOZNIAK <k.wozniak AT ECU.EDU DOT AU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 6 May 2005 16:08:49 +0800
Dear All,

My TSM backup server holds approx 15Tb of data collected from some 80
servers.
The twin 4560 library holds 56 tapes.
Approx. 150 tapes are offline.
The primary disk storage is 120Gb.
As you can imagine reclamation takes quite a lot of time as the system
become overloaded since it was put in action almost 2 years ago.

The greatest complaint is that restore, unlike backup, is not instant.

To fix the problem my management is about to purchase 5Tb of disks.

We only had small disks up to now and it seems that a large disk is an
entirely different game.
It does not seem to be very obvious how to get the best value out of it.

Had I had enough disks to put all data on disk could simply move tape
system to the disk.
Had I had larger library I would simply put all tapes online.
But in my case I face a mixed disk & tape system.

As I am not so keen on reinventing the wheel, I would like to ask few
quiestions, like:

Where can I find materials about TSM configuration for a large disk/
large disk + tape ?

I am sure that somebody from ASDM-L may have a suitable experience.
Would you be so kind to share it with me and provide me with some
pointers?

There are special mechanism to regroup data - like backup sets and
co-location (and maybe something I missed) Would they be of any use in
my future setup ?

With regards,
--
Mr Krzysztof Wozniak        ,-_|\      E-mail: K.WOZNIAK AT ecu.edu DOT au
Edith Cowan University     /     \      Phone: 61-8-9273 8026