ADSM-L

Re: SV: Best OS for a TSM server

2005-05-04 13:22:32
Subject: Re: SV: Best OS for a TSM server
From: Rob Berendt <rob AT DEKKO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 12:21:43 -0500
I love IBM's iSeries or new i5's, and OS/400 or i5/OS.  Although I can't,
in good conscience, recommend using an OS/400 lpar to run TSM.  Even
though they 'give' you TSM with certain package deals.  The very last
version of TSM that works on an OS/400 lpar is 5.2.2.  And that is only
under something called PASE.  Which is like a limited unix emulator.  The
PASE api's severely restrict the speed of the tape drives.  Basically down
to 1/3 of native speed.  Now, I've been told that a true AIX or Linux
partition on an i5 does not suffer these PASE api restrictions, and, will
run the latest versions of TSM.  My boss has been in personal contact with
people at the highest levels of the i5 division to:
- Support the newer versions of TSM under OS/400, or i5/OS.
- To remove the PASE api tape speed restrictions.

The p5 and the i5 come off the same assembly line with very slight
modifications.

Rob Berendt
--
Group Dekko Services, LLC