ADSM-L

How to prevent 2 computers from using 1 nodename

2005-05-03 13:15:13
Subject: How to prevent 2 computers from using 1 nodename
From: Roger Deschner <rogerd AT UIC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 12:14:51 -0500
It is a perpetual annoyance. We wind up with 2 different computers being
backed up under 1 nodename. This causes all sorts of problems, among
them an inability to restore. Which is the point of backing up in the
first place.

So we look for a number of things. We look for IP address changes (which
may or may not suggest a problem, since it also happens with DHCP
users), we scan filespaces for two occurences of file space names
containing "C:" which have both been backed up recently, and we scan the
logs for either of these messages, which we have found are often tipoffs
to this type of abuse:

ANR2576W An attempt was made to update an event record for a scheduled
operation which has already been executed - multiple client schedulers
may be active for node <nodename>.

ANR0428W Session 256954 for node <nodename> (Win98) refused - client is
down-level with this server version.

This often comes about when somebody gets a new computer, and they
neglect to do even basic scrubbing on their old one, and the scheduler
just keeps on going like the Energizer Bunny. Expiring the password to
prevent this is ineffective, because the wrong one might get it first,
using PASSWORDACCESS GNEERATE.

When we detect the situation, we try using persuasion to get them to
deal with it, but that is typically both labor-intensive on my part, and
ineffective. Then I wind up resoring to force, and lock the node, and
have some Important Faculty Member jumping all over me. So, what do
others do about this kind of thing?

============ "In theory, theory and practice are the same, =============
========= but in practice, theory and practice are different." =========