ADSM-L

mixing LTO-3 with LTO-2?

2005-05-02 15:54:42
Subject: mixing LTO-3 with LTO-2?
From: Alexander Lazarevich <alazarev AT ITG.UIUC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 14:54:33 -0500
TSM 5.1.9.0 on win2K server.

We have an Overland Neo 4100 library with 2 x LTO-2 drive (HP) with 60
LTO-2 media; been working great for almost 2 years. We need to expand, and
are considering an LTO-3 library with 2 x LTO-3 drives. We'd like to
combine the two libraries into one 120 tape library, and Overland Neo
series has this ability to do that, called expansion or something like
that. If we can do that, then we'd finally be able to do co-location,
which would make us very happy.

But I'm unsure how TSM will handle a mix of LTO-2 and LTO-3 drives/media.
I know LTO-3 drives will read/write LTO-2 media, and I think LTO-2 connot
read/write LTO-3 media, right?

Does anyone here have a library that mixes LTO-2 and LTO-3 drives/media?
How does TSM handle that? Does TSM know if a drive/tape is LTO-2 or LTO-3
and will it know that when it's asked to get data from node X, and that
node X data is on tape XXX055, will it know that that tape is an LTO-3
tape, and it cannot put that tape into drive MT1.0.0.2? Can TSM do all
that?

Or do we have to keep our LTO-2 and LTO-3 drives/media in seperate
libraries?

In addition, does anyone have anything positive/negative to say about
Overlands expansion technology?

Thanks in advance,

Alex