ADSM-L

Re: backup stgpool from one server to another?

2005-04-20 12:40:52
Subject: Re: backup stgpool from one server to another?
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 12:40:25 -0400
Yes, you can use one TSM server as an "electronic vault" for another TSM server.

Look in the Administrator's Guide under the topic "Using Virtual Volumes to
Store Data on Another Server".

It may not be the best approach, however:

*       The data is sent from the primary server to the secondary server via
TCP/IP.  How well it works for you will depend a lot on the available
throughput you have, and the amount of data involved.

*       It may not work like you want:  Server-to-Server virtual volumes create
an "electronic vault", not a "standby server".  If your primary server goes
down (or burns up!), the data is safe on the "other" TSM server, but cannot be
restored directly from the other server.  You have to recreate your pirmary TSM
server image first.

*       First let me say that I don't even know what "on demand" is, but I'm
not sure what you mean by "temporary stuff".  If you are talking about backups,
TSM doesn't really understand the notion of "temporary".  How will you get
those backups to expire off the "other" server?  Archives are a better choice
for something that is "temporary".

*       "Virtual" volumes also have to be reclaimed, and that involves transfer
via TCP/IP again.

*       Have you considered creating a second copy pool and just moving the
tapes of this "temporary" stuff to the other server's location?  It's usually
faster and easier to manage than virtual volumes, if you have a lot of data.

*       I assume from your question that your TSM servers have separate
libraries.  I don't have enough information about your config to say for sure,
but if your library will support it, a better solution may be to use a fibre
connection to let your 2 TSM servers share one of the libraries, and have your
TSM "on demand" server write its copy pool into the other machine's library.

Hope that helps.

Wanda Prather
"* I/O, I/O, It's all about I/O *"  -(me)