ADSM-L

Re: Was: expiring deleted versions

2005-04-14 07:57:49
Subject: Re: Was: expiring deleted versions
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 07:56:43 -0400
On Apr 14, 2005, at 4:17 AM, Tuncel Mutlu (B.T.S.Y.G.) wrote:

So there are 67000 objects expired (quite normal for the number of
clients 20-25) and as I can see from the volumes, there is no
reduction in 5 years backup volumes sizes, all full 100%. So the files
have not expired, which is good. But what is the 350,000 number in
client scheduler log ? And can it fill my server recovery log ?
Because thats how I get to the issue, the server recovery log was
filled up.

The Windows client manual says:
"Expiring--> Indicates an object (file or directory) on the server that
no
             longer exists on the client is expired and made inactive
on the server."
As you say, the client people removed all those files from the client
file system (perhaps without very good reason). Have them perform 'dsmc
Query Backup -INActive ...' to see what remains in TSM storage.

Yes, Expiration can fill your Recovery Log: the TSM server needs to be
sized to accommodate all expected activities in order to maintain
functionality.

  Richard Sims