ADSM-L

Re: Encryption of data written to tape

2005-04-13 10:53:57
Subject: Re: Encryption of data written to tape
From: "Stapleton, Mark" <mark.stapleton AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 09:51:25 -0500
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On
Behalf Of Dearman, Richard
>So the data is not decrypted at the tsm server before being written to
>tape?

It is encrypted from the moment the data leaves the client, and it not
deencrypted until it is restored to the client.

>Therefore if I set this for all my windows 5.3 clients all data that is
>backed up to disk then migrated to tape will be encrypted?

Yes.

>And if I need to rebuild (meaning reinstall windows) that
>client for any
>reason or restore files from that client to any other client I assume
>the client doesn't need the decryption keys?

This is incorrect. If you rebuild a TSM client, the first time you
perform a restore to it the TSM client will ask for the encryption key.
If you don't know what it is, the data will not be available. Ever.

IBM Certified Advanced Deployment Professional
Tivoli Storage Management Solutions 2005
Office 262.521.5627