ADSM-L

Re: Reconfiguring IBM 3583-L72

2005-04-11 10:43:28
Subject: Re: Reconfiguring IBM 3583-L72
From: Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 10:41:47 -0400
Well, I wasn't trying to save time........I simply need more slots !  We
tried to another 3483 Library, but got shot down due to budget
"reallocations".

Once I am finishes moving other tapes/data around, the actual use count of
primary LTO tapes should be around 40 and I should have 20-free to use as
a copypool. Obviously I will need to shuffle tapes in and out, just to
make the first offsite copy !

I too am curious as to why this would disable AutoClean.....especially
since the built-in cleaning cartridge is in his own home !

Thank you for the MOVE MEDIA suggestion.  I have never used this command
and will need to do some research on it.  Anyone out there using it and
can offer some examples to shuffle takes in/out of a 3583 Library ?

"Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT jhuapl DOT edu>
04/08/2005 05:47 PM

cc
<zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
Subject
RE: Reconfiguring IBM 3583-L72

Hi Zoltan,

JUST DON"T DO THIS.  How much time is it going to buy you, anyway?

You can configure all 12 slots as storage, then the I/O door stays
permanently locked.  (Option is on the front panel; it's described in
the 3583 Setup and Operator Guide.)

When you do that, it turns off library AutoClean, also.  (Don't ask me
why the two should be related, I"ve no idea.  But we've tested it.)  So
you will have to give up 1 of the 12 slots to check in a cleaning tape
via TSM commands.

You can also replace the 12-slot door with a 1-slot door.   (In fact,
that's the standard config; you paid extra to get the 12-slot door!)

BUT, what's the point?!?
If you've already used up 60 slots, how much time will 11 more slots buy
you?

Instead, look at the MOVE MEDIA command.  (That is NOT the same as MOVE
DRMEDIA).  You can issue a MOVE MEDIA and tell TSM to check out and
eject the least-recently-used tapes, and put them on a shelf.  It will
prompt you for a checkin in the event one of those tapes is needed.

Better still, if your clients follow the 80/20 rule, and you have 2 or
three especially large clients, create a separate disk & primary tape
pool for those via MOVE MEDIA, and just remove the tapes in that storage
pool as they fill.  That limits the number of people being
inconvenienced by tapes  that are not in the library being required for
restores.

I had one site where we found over a third of the data was from Oracle
TDP clients.  Well, when an Oracle RESTORE is required, it's not going
to happen unless the Oracle DBA is on site.  So we put the Oracle
clients in a separate storage pool, and eject those tapes regularly.  I
can teach the DBA to check the tapes in, in the event a TSM admin is not
around.  That will buy us plenty of time until the drives are upgraded
to LTO3.  Problem solved, only 1 person inconvenienced.

Maybe you can come up with a similar scheme;  if at all possible, spend
your time on that, instead of giving up your I/O door for what will
surely be a very short-term fix!

Wanda