ADSM-L

Re: Question on SETUP

2005-04-08 15:27:20
Subject: Re: Question on SETUP
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 15:27:06 -0400
Performance is another reason I DON"T mirror the DB, if all I've got to
work with is RAID-5.

RAID-5 is relatively slow for WRITE activity, DEPENDING on your hardware
implementation of RAID.  A lot of people don't realize that.  When you
are writing to a RAID-5 disk, it requires writing to multiple physical
drives and writing the parity info before the job is finished.  It takes
longer than writing to a raw disk or writing to a RAID-1 (physically
mirrored) drive.

If it's internal hard drives on a Winders box, and performance is an
issue, I take a couple of drives OUT of the RAID-5 configuration, and
have TSM do the mirroring on two raw drives.  It's noticeably faster.
On your average, low priced DELL or COMPAQ type Windows server, most
people use RAID controller cards for internal disks that cost about
$300.  They cost only $300 FOR A REASON:  they don't provide cache (or
enough of it) to overcome the WRITE penalty on the RAID-5.

If your RAID is in a properly-striped FaSTT or EMC or Shark box, that's
an entirely different story.  They have enough cache memory in the
controllers (with battery backup) to overcome a lot of the WRITE
overhead for RAID.  That's why they cost more.

Pretty much, if you are installing TSM new, on a relatively small
configuration (say less than 50GB in the TSM DB), on relatively new
hardware, it will just work.  Nobody is around in the middle of the
night to watch it, and it just doesn't matter if your backups or
expiration runs longer by 15 minutes.

It's when you get large TSM DB's, and you notice that EXPIRATION runs
way too long, or your DB backups start taking too long, or you have
literally hundreds of clients, then you start worrying about ways to
speed things up.  What is "too long", well.......that depends on you.
If it isn't causing a problem, and you're getting everything completed
every day, it's not "too long".

Wanda Prather
"I/O, I/O, It's all about I/O"  -(me)