ADSM-L

Re: Help me convincing IBM please!!!!

2005-04-07 14:29:19
Subject: Re: Help me convincing IBM please!!!!
From: Paul Zarnowski <psz1 AT CORNELL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 14:28:58 -0400
At 01:40 PM 4/7/2005, David Longo wrote:
What's the difference?  Last week my DB was on a FAStT200HA
with 4 drawers of 73GB 10K disks.  This week it is on a
FAStT 600 Turbo with 4 drawers of 73GB 15K disks and the EXP710
drawers.

I also echo David's observation.  Upgrading our disk subsystem from 10Krpm
SSA drives to 15Krpm FAStT drives made a world of difference (even tho the
FAStT drives were *much* larger than the SSA drives).  The extra money that
that the faster rpm drives costs are well worth it for a large TSM server.

I will also point out that the "objects inspected rate" for expiration will
vary quite a bit, depending on your mix of database objects.  object
deletion takes far longer than object inspection.  If you are only
examining a bunch of archive objects without deleting any of them, then
your expiration rate will look *much* higher (objects processed).  This can
be misleading.  Looking at the inspection rates separately from the
deletion rates can be useful.

..Paul

--
Paul Zarnowski                         Ph: 607-255-4757
719 Rhodes Hall, Cornell University    Fx: 607-255-8521