ADSM-L

Simultaneous restore of same filespace.

2005-04-05 08:22:34
Subject: Simultaneous restore of same filespace.
From: "John E. Vincent" <adsm-l-alias AT CLACORP DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 08:23:08 -0400
Hi all,

Just as an update it turns out that the 3623 Tape Drive and the 3581
tape library are NOT the same library as I thought. Seems to be the same
all the way down except the firmware. A 3623 is just plainly not
supported under AIX so my atape issues were legit.

Now for a new question:

Is it possible to restore the same filespace to multiple hosts at the
same time? I.E. we're moving our reporting database to a new server and
we want to be able to restore our production database on the old server
at the same time as the new one.

The library (a 3582) has two tape drives and I know there are at least 3
copies of the previous nights backup on three diff. tapes. Would TSM be
able mount another tape that had a copy of the file if someone were to
attempt a restore of that file space while it was restoring another one
(i.e. use a copy from the copy pool?). This is TSM 5.2.2 on Linux.

I just have to say thanks to everyone who has been so helpful to me.
This listserv is wonderful thing and the ADSM/TSM community is just
excellent.

John E. Vincent