ADSM-L

Re: Backup TSM database

2005-04-04 08:07:28
Subject: Re: Backup TSM database
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 08:06:36 -0400
On Apr 19, 2005, at 7:28 AM, nghiatd wrote:

Can I use private tape if I incremental backup db. Not support backup
db to
one tape is too waste

One dbbackup per volume. See definitive statement in IBM TechNote
1153782.

TSM database backups are critical resources, and the intention is that
each tape be immediately securable by removing from the library and
securing in a vault or like safe place. And you don't want to have to
deal with  partial expiration and reclamation issues.

Where small libraries are an issue, the developers have provided the
ability to use FILE type volumes. (You could even have an SATA drive
running inside a safe as the destination of such backups.)

   Richard Sims