ADSM-L

Re: Archive very, very slow

2005-03-30 15:54:17
Subject: Re: Archive very, very slow
From: "Stapleton, Mark" <mark.stapleton AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 14:53:54 -0600
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On
Behalf Of Galloway, Gary M
>COMMMethod is set to SHAREDMEM  and has been that way from the start.
>I'm got tracing turned on now so we will see if that reveals anything.
>Here is the summary of our archive from last night.  Network(FIBER)
>throughput seems to be ok but the Aggregate is abysmal.  Compression is
>also turned off since we aren't going over ethernet and HW compression
>is turned on at the tape drive.  We are backing up ~32000 file, some in
>the 50-60G range.
>
>Total number of objects inspected:  158,353
>Total number of objects archived:    31,927
>Total number of objects updated:          0
>Total number of objects rebound:          0
>Total number of objects deleted:          0
>Total number of objects expired:          0
>Total number of objects failed:           2
>Total number of bytes transferred:    459.45 GB
>Data transfer time:                  927.99 sec
>Network data transfer rate:        519,159.18 KB/sec
>Aggregate data transfer rate:      8,740.44 KB/sec
>Objects compressed by:                    0%
>Elapsed processing time:           15:18:40

I've got customers that would love to have 8MB/sec aggregates!

Note your transfer time (930 seconds); this makes your throughput rate,
once data transfer starts, 495MB/sec.

You might be having a lot of retries; they run up your total backup time
without adding to the amount of data being transfered. See how many
retries you see in your dsmsched.log.

IBM Certified Advanced Deployment Professional
Tivoli Storage Management Solutions 2005
Office 262.521.5627