ADSM-L

Archive very, very slow

2005-03-30 14:30:27
Subject: Archive very, very slow
From: "Miller, Ila" <ila-miller AT UIOWA DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 13:14:52 -0600
We recently migrated from a locally attached 3590 E11 tape drive to two
3592 tape drives in a 3494 tape library.  We installed TSM 5.2.4.0 on a
p5 570 lpar running AIX 5.3.  Our data is on an IBM ESS 800.  Every day
we quiese the application and flash copy it then mount the flash copy
volume groups to another system and backup.  We were just doing the
native backup to the 3590 E11 locally attached drives.  Then we mounted
the flash copy to the TSM server and did an archive.  The four volume
groups comprise about 400G of data 95% being in CACHE.DAT files, one
which is about 200G in size.

The problem is the archive over fibre is taking 12-14 hours to complete.
We were backing up to the 3590 local attached tape drives using native
commands in about 8 hours.  The Aggregate data transfer rate:
10,793.34 KB/sec seems network speed and we are using fibre attached
tape drives and ESS storage.  The data is mounted to the TSM server so
the TSM server is also the client and the data should not be going over
the network at all.

We have looked at ESS 800 performance of LUNs, software compression,
various settings including shmport and commMethod sharedmem and have not
been able to come up with anything to make the backup run faster.  We
have a pmr open at IBM but it has not produced any useful information
that would resolve the problem.

Has anyone else ever seen anything like this?

Ila Z. Miller
Health Care Information Systems
University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics
ila-miller AT uiowa DOT edu
Phone:  319.356.0067
FAX: 319.356.3521

Notice: This e-mail (including attachments) is covered by the Electronic
Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. 2510-2521, is confidential and may
be legally privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are
hereby notified that any retention, dissemination, distribution, or
copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.  Please reply to
the sender that you have received the message in error, then delete it.
Thank you.