ADSM-L

Re: Preparing a tape storage pool volume for reuse

2005-03-30 09:07:44
Subject: Re: Preparing a tape storage pool volume for reuse
From: Tim Piqueur <tim.piqueur AT DEVGEN DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 16:07:06 +0200
Rob,

I couldn't agree more with Mark. Please read the introduction to TSM.
When I look at the name of your copy storage pool (3581_week2) it seems
that you are still working in a full/incremental way. This is not how
TSM works.
This is about the 'progressive backup' in TSM and  taken from the "TSM
Concepts" Redbook:

"[Progressive backup] Saves time and disk space by backing up only new
files and modified files. The progressive backup feature uses its own
relational database to track data wherever it is stored, delivering
direct one-step file restore. This eliminates the need for
base-plus-incrementals tapes, commonly used for restore procedures in
other storage management products."

Furthermore, reclamation isn't something that 'fits' in your backup
strategy. It is something that is part of TSM and should be used; it has
nothing to do with your backup strategy.

Again, please refer to the Redbooks provided by IBM...
(http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/tivihelp/index.jsp)

Regards,

Tim