ADSM-L

Re: Move NodeData and copypools

2005-03-25 12:51:23
Subject: Re: Move NodeData and copypools
From: "Stapleton, Mark" <mark.stapleton AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 11:51:12 -0600
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On
Behalf Of Cory Heikel
>I have 2 copypools, one for high priority DR required nodes, and the
>other for everything else. The DR copypool is collocated.
>Every month or
>so, I get a request to move a node into the DR pools. I can
>use the move
>nodedata command to move things between the non-copypools, but
>I need to
>find a way to move data between the two copypools. If I can't get the
>data moved for a node from the "regular" copypool into the
>"dr" copypool
>then I have to take about 500 extra tapes when we do our dr
>testing, and
>the multitude of tape mounts required for recovery really slows the
>process down.
>
>Does anyone have any idea how this could be accomplished?

Data cannot be moved from one copy pool to another; this is a design
feature of TSM. However, there is a workaround.

<MOVED_NODE    = node to be moved to DR_TAPEPOOL>
<NORM_TAPEPOOL = normal primary pool>
<DR_TAPEPOOL   = DR primary pool>
<NORM_COPYPOOL = normal copy pool>
<DR_COPYPOOL   = DR copy pool>

1. Move MOVED_NODE's data from NORM_TAPEPOOL to DR_TAPEPOOL by running

        MOVE NODEDATA MOVED_NODE FROMSTG=NORM_TAPEPOOL TOSTG=DR_TAPEPOOL

2. Run

        BACKUP STG DR_TAPEPOOL DR_COPYPOOL

This will copy all data in DR_TAPEPOOL to DR_COPYPOOL, including
MOVED_NODE.

MOVED_NODE's data in NORM_COPYPOOL will then be collected onto a single
tape.

3. Deny access to all volumes belonging to NORM_COPYPOOL and residing in
the tape library by running

        UPDATE VOLUME * ACCESS=READONLY WHERESTG=NORM_COPYPOOL
WHEREACC=READW

This will force step #4's action onto a new empty tape volume.

4. Run

        MOVE NODEDATA MOVED_NODE FROMSTG=NORM_COPYPOOL

When finished, all of MOVED_NODE's data in NORM_COPYPOOL will reside on
their own tape volume. Make a note of this new volume's number (tape
000324, for example).

5. Correct the access statuses changed in step #3 command above by
running

        UPDATE VOLUME * ACCESS=READWRITE WHERESTG=NORM_COPYPOOL
WHEREACC=READONLY

6. Now delete MOVED_NODE's data from NORM_COPYPOOL by running

        DEL VOLUME 000324 DISCARDDATA=YES

You now have all of MOVED_NODE's data in DR_TAPEPOOL and DR_COPYPOOL. If
you're naturally paranoid (like myself) you won't perform step #6 until
all tapes belonging to DR_COPYPOOL are residing in your vault.

Office 262.521.5627