ADSM-L

Re: ANR8963E - AGAIN

2005-03-25 05:40:10
Subject: Re: ANR8963E - AGAIN
From: Kelly Martin <kelly.lynn.martin AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 01:55:49 -0600
On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 08:05:58 -0500, William Boyer <bjdboyer AT comcast DOT net>
wrote:
> I've had issues with replacing LTO drives in a 3583 library. Unless I
> shutdown the Windows server, then power cycled the library and
> brought Windows back up I would get error trying to define the drive. It
> would tell me that the ELEMENT= was not found.
>
> Have you verified that the MTx.x.x.x device is still the correct one? I've
> had Winders recognize the replaced drive as a NEW drive
> and created a different name.
>
> Also verify that the correct device driver is loading for the drive. If this
> is Windows2000, make sure that the drive is being
> controlled by the TSM device drive. For Windows2003, make sure that the tape
> is using the TSM device driver. I've also seen where
> Windows thinks it's a new or replaced device, assigning the same device name,
> but not retaining or reloading the device driver for
> it.
>
> Bill Boyer
> "Some days you're the bug, some days you're the windshield" - ??

I had one instance where I swapped a drive on a 3583 and had Windows
renumber *all* the drives, not just the one swapped; this resulted in
TSM requesting tape mounts into drive 2 but then reading from drive 1
(for example) with all sorts of bizarre consequences.  I had to delete
all the drives from TSM, delete all the devices from Windows, reboot
Windows, let Windows rediscover the drives, and then add them back to
TSM before it would work correctly.

Kelly