ADSM-L

Re: Move Media & DR

2005-03-22 13:44:42
Subject: Re: Move Media & DR
From: "Mark D. Rodriguez" <mark AT MDRCONSULT DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 12:44:24 -0600
Joni,

My first question is are you licensed for the "Extended Edition" of TSM,
because it includes DRM support which will make your life much easier
when it comes to managing off site tapes and doing DR testing.  In
particular you would be using "move drmedia" commands instead of "move
media" commands. The "move media" commands are more useful for handling
on site primary pool tapes that need to be moved out side of the library
for whatever reason.  Whereas the "move drmedia" commands are designed
to do exactly what you are trying to do.

I sent you an email earlier with my contact info in it.  If you would
like feel free to call me and we can discuss these issues over the phone.

--
Regards,
Mark D. Rodriguez

MDR Consulting
The very best in Technical Training and Consulting.
IBM Advanced Business Partner
SAIR Linux and GNU Authorized Center for Education
IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert, CATE
AIX Support and Performance Tuning, RS6000 SP, TSM/ADSM and Linux
Red Hat Certified Engineer, RHCE

Joni Moyer wrote:

Hello Everyone!

I have the volume N00043 that I have sent to the vault by using the move
media command.  I will be having a DR test and will be taking the tape(s)
to the DR site.  The volume is read-only and is mountable, but not in the
library.  Will I have to do any updates to the tapes if I want to mount
this tape at our DR site?  I was thinking no, but I just thought I would
ask.  Thanks!

Volume      State                         Location               Automated
LibN
Name                                                             ame

--------    --------------------------    -------------------
---------------
N00043      Mountable not in library      Vital Records, Inc.

             Volume Name: N00043
            Storage Pool Name: TAPE_NDMP_OFFSITE
            Device Class Name: NASDEV
      Estimated Capacity (MB): 515,035.1
      Scaled Capacity Applied:
                     Pct Util: 99.9
                Volume Status: Filling
                       Access: Read-Only
       Pct. Reclaimable Space: 0.1
              Scratch Volume?: Yes
              In Error State?: No
     Number of Writable Sides: 1
      Number of Times Mounted: 36
            Write Pass Number: 1
    Approx. Date Last Written: 03/18/05 20:53:54
       Approx. Date Last Read: 03/17/05 12:55:14
          Date Became Pending:
       Number of Write Errors: 0
        Number of Read Errors: 0
              Volume Location: Vital Records, Inc.