ADSM-L

Use WinPE from Windows XP not from Windows 2003

2005-03-21 19:07:43
Subject: Use WinPE from Windows XP not from Windows 2003
From: TSM_User <tsm_user AT YAHOO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 16:07:23 -0800
All, Recently there have been some posts from people trying to use the WinPE
doc to backup and/or restore image based backups with TSM using WinPE.  I
wanted you to know that there is a known issue when you use a WinPE CD built
from a Windows 2003 installation.  The TSM client will crash when run.
However, when you use a WinPE CD built from a WinXP installation (I used WinXP
Pro) everything works as it should. Tivoli is aware of this issue but being
that WinPE built from WinXP works I'm not sure how fast a fix will be available.

If you have a WinPE CD built from Windows 2003 and you want to create one from
WinXP you can use the following KP article to do so
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303891

Again, remember if you are using a dsm.opt file that has any log entries in it
(dsmsched, dsmtrace or dsmerror) make sure they don't point to the drive that
you are trying to restore.

Kyle