ADSM-L

Re: Looking for user experiences with EMC's DL700

2005-03-21 11:31:38
Subject: Re: Looking for user experiences with EMC's DL700
From: "Mcnutt, Larry E." <larry.mcnutt AT TIMKEN DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 11:16:03 -0500
Hi Eric,

We have been using a DL700 for about 6 months.  Currently we use it for
backups of our high-priority servers to improve the restore time.  We have
20 TB of S-ATA storage.  We have configured it to emulate one library with
16 LTO1 drives.  We backup directly to "tape".  The unit has been working
well for us.  The TSM server is a P650 with 2 LPARs, both running 5.1.7.0.
The DL700 is used on one LPAR.  Once we get to 5.2.*, we can use LTO2
emulation, and we will have additional library configurations available.  We
are running with compression enabled, and it is giving about 2.4:1 on the
average.  In TSM, it appears to be a tape library, with really fast tape
mounts/unmounts.  If there are some specific questions, I would be happy to
answer, if I can.

Best regards,
Larry McNutt
The Timken Company