ADSM-L

Re: Question about volume ???

2005-03-18 12:22:18
Subject: Re: Question about volume ???
From: "Mark D. Rodriguez" <mark AT MDRCONSULT DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 11:21:58 -0600
Robert,

There are several conditions under which TSM can change a tape status to private in the library inventory without it actually being in use. All of these situations are related to some kind of error that would have been documented in the activity log. However, if happened a long time ago you may not have the records in the activity log. I have run into this with customers on several occasion so I have to very simple scripts that I give them.

The first one I call "stranded" it checks for any tapes in the library that are in private state but not in use. Here is the script:

select volume_name from libvolumes -
where status='Private' and -
libvolumes.volume_name not in -
(select volume_name from volumes ) and -
libvolumes.volume_name not in -
(select volume_name from volhistory where type in -
('BACKUPFULL','BACKUPINCR','DBSNAPSHOT','EXPORT','BACKUPSET'))

The second one I call "inuse" it will list what a volume is used for, please not you must pass to it the volume name.

Q vol $1
select volume_name,type from volhistory where volume_name=upper('$1') and type in -
('BACKUPFULL','BACKUPINCR','DBSNAPSHOT','EXPORT','BACKUPSET')

I hope these will help.

--
Regards,
Mark D. Rodriguez

MDR Consulting
The very best in Technical Training and Consulting.
IBM Advanced Business Partner
SAIR Linux and GNU Authorized Center for Education
IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert, CATE
AIX Support and Performance Tuning, RS6000 SP, TSM/ADSM and Linux
Red Hat Certified Engineer, RHCE

Robert Ouzen wrote:

Hi to all

I am upgrading my organization from DLT to LTO2 and finish the migration but I
still got in my old library 2 / 3 cartridges belongs to nowhere!!!

When doing query’s like:

Q libv scalar

              SCALAR          000054         Private                     Data
      4,101

              SCALAR          000129         Private                     Data
      4,216

        Q vol  000054

             ANR2034E QUERY VOLUME: No match found using this criteria.

       select * from volumes where volume_name='000054'

            ANR2034E SELECT: No match found using this criteria.

I double check if maybe a DBackup or DBsnapshot is …. Not at all

What can I do for more investigation to see what on the 000054 cartridge and to
whom is belong ????

My TSM is  Server Version 5, Release 2, Level 4.2

T.I.A Regards

Robert Ouzen

E-mail:  rouzen AT univ.haifa.ac DOT il