ADSM-L

Re: DIRMC - Are copypool reclamation performance issues resolved or not.

2005-03-17 11:36:10
Subject: Re: DIRMC - Are copypool reclamation performance issues resolved or not.
From: Mike <mikee AT MIKEE.ATH DOT CX>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 10:35:43 -0600
On Thu, 17 Mar 2005, Steve Bennett might have said:

> Wanda,
>
> I just added a sata disk array in TSM v5.2 so I'll jump in here.
>
> If you are using one disk partition in Windows for the device class then
> you can let TSM define the number of vols it needs up to maxscr or out
> of disk condition. Each volume name will be unique and assigned by TSM.
>
> If you use more than one one disk partition for the device class you
> need to dsmfmt as many volumes as you need and you must then define
> those volumes to the storage pool. Only the volume names you specified
> will be used and reused.

Are you saying that if I have one huge disk that TSM will carve
it up into some size of logical slices and then use those slices?
I'm on AIX, not Windows, does this make a difference? Currently
we use dsmfmt to create the files on disk that TSM uses as storage
pools. I'm not the TSM admin. I think the individual storage pools
are manually given to a 'storage class'? We have enough disk for a
night's backup (of incrementals). I'd like to give all the disk
to TSM to manage as little volumes (or whatever the term is) so that
backups are quick (node->network->tsm).

Mike