ADSM-L

Re: select question: Finding files bound to an archive management class per node ?

2005-03-15 09:27:57
Subject: Re: select question: Finding files bound to an archive management class per node ?
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 07:27:40 -0700
Hi Rainer,

What is it you are *really* trying to find out? Depending on the size of
your database, mining the ARCHIVES table can be a slow process when maybe
you don't quite need that level of detail?

You can find out who has any archived data by querying the occupancy
table:

   query occupancy type=archive

That will show you which nodes have any archived data, and how many
objects they have.

If you still want to mine the ARCHIVES table, then perhaps it would be
best for you to run one SELECT against the entire table, store the results
in a file, then use some other utiity to mine that data:

   dsmadmc -id=you -pa=xx -comma select * from archives > archives.out

With that said...

If you want to find out how many objects a given node has archived, you
can do something like this:

   select node_name, class_name, count(*) \
      from archives \
      group by node_name, class_name

If you want to know what specific object by node name:

   select filespace_name || hl_name || ll_name \
      as "FILE NAME                                            " \
      from archives \
      where node_name='YOURNODE' and class_name='YOURCLASS'

Depending on your specific needs, you can create variations of these.

For your other question, the BACKRETENTION and ARCHRETENTION settings for
the policy domain might be useful.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group

The command line is your friend.

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 2005-03-15
06:25:40:

> Hello,
> we have discontinued a way to archive data on some special hardware
> and the archive-copygrous are now modified with a 'copy
destination'named NONE
> that points to nothing and will give an error message if someone is
> using that.
> One question is : can someone help me with a select command that shows
> those files or just the number of files  that are bound to an
> archive management class xxxx in a
> policy domain yyyy and is stored by a node zzzz ?
> Alternatively a select that shows those files  or just the number of
> files that are
> bound to an archive management class xxxx in a policy domain yyyy and is
> stored  in a given storagepool zzzz ?
> I need that because some day those obsolete archive copygroups
> should be deleted
> -the archive data is not unlimited by time-  if not needed anymore.
>
> My other question is: is there a way to make management classes kind of
> unseen to the client if those archive managementclasses /  archive
copygroups
> are not usable anymore and just defined at the server for not to
> lose the data ?
>
> ... or is there something else what can be done ?
>
> Greetings and Thanks a lot in advance !
> Rainer
>
> --

> Rainer Wolf                              Mail:
rainer.wolf AT kiz.uni-ulm DOT de