ADSM-L

Re: unsucccessful DR test

2005-03-14 15:01:18
Subject: Re: unsucccessful DR test
From: Lawrence Clark <Larry_Clark AT THRUWAY.STATE.NY DOT US>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 15:02:12 -0500
On Mar 14, 2005, at 11:47 AM, Lawrence Clark wrote:

> The consequence is that although the library showed on TSM, the info
> about where the vols resides was lost. a
> - q vol   returned info about a volume
> - a q content <vol> returned info about a volume
> but:
> - q libvol showed empty rows for the library.

In a library containing a Library Manager, such as the 3494, TSM does
not need to know (and does not know) where tapes reside within the
library.

>>> Is this true? It does seem that when the contents of a Q LIBVOL
came up emnpty was the point that TSM could not mount a volume. I mean,
if you have 2 libraries defined, how does TSM know which library to send
the command to for a specific volume?

As Allen suggests, the information needed in the problem definition is
how the volumes were introduced to the library. Don't forget to
physically verify library and content access with the mtlib command
before presuming that TSM can get at it.

>>>The volumes were not 'introduced' into the library. They were there
and that library was disconnected from the production TSM server at the
switch, and connected to the DR TSM server at the switch.

    Richard Sims