ADSM-L

Re: Solaris server won't backup

2005-03-14 13:48:47
Subject: Re: Solaris server won't backup
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 13:47:52 -0500
Joni -

A classic cause of this situation is that the previously scheduled
backup was still running (stuck) when the next one tried to start.

In your Query Session, the key here is in the numbers: if the Bytes
Sent is large, it indicates that the server has sent the client its
inventory of Active files and is waiting for the client to sort and
start processing it as the client then starts traversing the file
system. If no data is coming back from the client, then it suggests a
problem either with general (memory) resources on the client, or issues
in the file system. In such a case, I would, instead of just a 'dsmc
i', do a dsmc i on a small file system, to start isolating the problem.
If that works, escalate to larger file systems - and suspect the one
that's first in the Domain list. You indicate no errors in the
dsmerror.log. See if anything in the Solaris /var/log/messages. Also
exercise other client functions such as 'dsmc q fi' and 'dsmc query
backup ...' and 'dsmc archive SomeFile' to further isolate the problem.

   Richard Sims