ADSM-L

SkipNTsecurityCRC doesn't seem to work as I'd expect

2005-03-14 07:31:38
Subject: SkipNTsecurityCRC doesn't seem to work as I'd expect
From: "Mol, ATM" <Ton.Mol AT CORUSGROUP DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 13:31:12 +0100
First the problem:
A Windows fileserver with about 560GB data in 13.500.000 files. (We also
have one with 1,1TB data.)
Always done (full/standard) incrementals.
Consider a security update (local group addition; no discussion about that).
A normal incremental backup treats me next run with a full backup of all.

(Server v5.2.4 on W2K-sp4, Client v5.2.3.11 on W2K-sp4)

Considerations:
- I don't really need or want security on file level: via inheritance the
files get the right rights from the directory
- A dirsonly backup takes as long as a full incremental (so it seems, and
because also file info is sent, doesn't save memory; And about an extra
filesonly backup...)
- A full incremental takes about a whole night
- An incremental with option skipntpermissions treats me with a full backup
(that I don't like) next run
- An incremental with option skipntsecuritycrc treats me with a full backup
(that I don't like) next run    (is this a bug or something?)
- I don't like full backups at all (except for databases; that why we chose
TSM didn't we?)
- Journal based backups also need a full incremental now and then

Solutions:
?

Ton Mol
Corus IJmuiden