ADSM-L

Re: Need a script

2005-03-09 15:48:25
Subject: Re: Need a script
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 15:48:04 -0500
Very sorry for the delay in reply.
Also sorry for the unattractive format - they do not make it easy to get
the TECHNOTE into a form you can mail.

1166289
How to remove a single file from a TSM backup tape volume
   Technote (FAQ)

Problem
For customers with security sensitive files already backed up to tape.
The following workaround can be used to remove a single file object from
backup tape.

Cause
A need can arise where a classified file breaches the security of the
customer and the customer needs to remove the file from the backup
volume without losing the rest of the active data on tape volume

Solution
A. Find the volume(s) containing the file:
.
1) Run a select statement to view a particular file and get the
Object_ID

2) show bfo 0 <object id>

3) locate the super-bitfile (The superbitfile is basically the first
bit file object in an aggregate)

4) show bfo 0 <super-bitfile> (This will list all of the bit files
within the aggregate and the at the bottom, show you the volume name for
the primary and the copy)
.
Here's what it looks like:
.
1)
tsm:AIX21>select * from backups where node_name='KEITHTECHVIT' and
ll_name='dsmsched.log'
.
NODE_NAME: KEITHTECHVIT
FILESPACE_NAME: /
STATE: ACTIVE_VERSION
TYPE: FILE
HL_NAME: /
LL_NAME: dsmsched.log
OBJECT_ID: 553769
BACKUP_DATE: 2001-07-20 14:18:12.000000
DEACTIVATE_DATE:
OWNER: root
CLASS_NAME: KEITHTECHVIT
.
2)
tsm: AIX21>show bfo 0 553769
.
Bitfile Object: 0.553769
**Sub-bitfile 0.553769 is stored in the following aggregate(s)
Super-bitfile: 0.553747, Offset: 0.146740, Length 0.933
.
3)
tsm: AIX21>show bfo 0 553747
.
Bitfile Object: 0.553747
**Super-bitfile 0.553747 contains following aggregated bitfiles
0.553747
0.553748
0.553749
0.553750
0.553751
0.553752
0.553755
0.553756
0.553757
0.553758
0.553759
0.553760
0.553761
0.553762
0.553763
0.553764
0.553765
0.553766
0.553767
0.553768
0.553769
.
**Sub-bitfile 0.553747 is stored in the following aggregate(s)
Super-bitfile: 0.553747, Offset: 0.0, Length 0.1315
.
**Disk Bitfile Entry
Bitfile Type: PRIMARY Storage Format: 6
Logical Size: 0.147865 Physical Size: 0.151552 Number of Segments: 2
Storage Pool ID: 1 Volume ID: 7 Volume Name: /tsm/bvol001.dsm
Storage Pool ID: 1 Volume ID: 7 Volume Name: /tsm/bvol001.dsm
**Archival Bitfile Entry
Bitfile Type: COPY Storage Format: 6
Bitfile Size: 0.147865 Number of Segments: 1
Storage Pool ID: -7 Volume ID: 702 Volume Name: 002
.
B. Define a new management class/copy group with the following
expiration parameters
versions exist - 1
versions deleted - 0
retain extra - 0
retain only - 0
.
C. Next, set up the client's dsm.opt to include ONLY the targeted file
and exclude all others
include /path/file <newmgmtclass>
.
D. Run a backup. When the backup completes, run expiration.
.
E. Once the tapes are available, run
move data <volname>
to move the data (except the expired file) off the original tape(s)

F. Lastly, check each original tape out of the library

Product Alias/Synonym
TSM
ITSM