ADSM-L

Re: Oracle 7.3.4 / 8.0.6 and TSM 5.2

2005-03-09 04:30:29
Subject: Re: Oracle 7.3.4 / 8.0.6 and TSM 5.2
From: Andreas Almroth <almrot_a AT MTNCAMEROON DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 10:29:43 +0100
Mark,

Well, TSM allows for pre-backup and post-backup scripts as well for a
given stanza.

But I still think a cron/TSM scheduled job executing a script that will
put the tablespaces in backup mode, followed by executing the dsmc
client locally, and then putting the tablespaces back in normal is a
simple way of doing it.
This way, the dsmc scheduler (if using TSM scheduler) will only execute
the first script, and then you run a number of manual dsmc sessions in
your script backing up the necessary files.
Also, this way you will have a good control of what is being backed up.
Lets say you have a scenario where the dba adds more data files in a new
file system. In your stanza you would have to update the DOMAIN variable
manually to have this system added, and restart the dsmc -sched process.
But if running the dsmc from the client, you can generate a list of
files from Oracle, and then figure out which file systems that needs to
be backed up, and change the command-line domain accordingly.

Running the dsmc client you can on the command line change the domain.
As long as the node is using its default domain/copygroup your files
will end up in the correct pool.

Mind you, I haven't tried this recently, but I believe the concept
should still work with TSM 5.2.

/Andreas

Mark Tindall wrote:

Andreas,

this was sort of the way I had thought of but I still have one problem
and that is how to take the tablespaces out of backup mode after the
backup has finished. With Netbackup there were 2 scripts which were
used - one pre backup and one post backup - which made sure tha
backups were always started  / completed before the tablespaces were
placed in / taken out of backup mode. As far as I know TSM will only
kick off one script which you must use to do the lot.

Many thanks for your help,

Mark Tindall

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 10:06:35 +0100, Andreas Almroth