ADSM-L

Management class Revamp

2005-03-06 12:06:06
Subject: Management class Revamp
From: "Meadows, Andrew" <AMeadows AT BMI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2005 11:06:49 -0600

Environment: TSM Version 5.2.1.1
                 AIX 5.1
                 Mixed Client environment with AIX, Linux and Windows
Clients

        I am confused and would like to see if anyone has experienced
this or can assist me with this. I am currently reorganizing the
management class structure of our TSM server. The old configuration had
all TSM servers under one domain and multiple management classes to tell
the TSM server where to store data etc....
        We are moving to a multi domain structure with the servers
defined to one of 4 domains. Under the old domain multiple archives were
done, some being for 15 year periods. I have asked and been told by TSM
support that when a server is moved to a new domain the Default
management class is associated with the Archive data if the same
management class name cannot be found under the new domain.
        I decided to test this theory out, and this is what I am needing
the help with. On a workstation I did an archive to the 15year
management class. I then ran a query and saw that the data was bound to
that management class:
NODE_NAME              ARCHIVE_DATE           DESCRIPTION
CLASS_NAME
------------------     ------------------     ------------------
------------------
JONWATTS               2005-03-02 10:31       Archive Date:
15YRARCHIVE
                                               03/02/2005

I then moved the server to the new domain, ran an incremental backup and
ran expiration. I then reran the query and this is what I received:
NODE_NAME              ARCHIVE_DATE           DESCRIPTION
CLASS_NAME
------------------     ------------------     ------------------
------------------
JONWATTS               2005-03-02 10:31       Archive Date:
15YRARCHIVE
                                               03/02/2005

Same thing. Now I am thoroughly confused on how to proceed. Does this
mean as long as I keep the old domain around the data will stay bound to
it, or does this mean the next time that the database is upgraded the
management class will change?
Any thoughts/assistance you can give me on this would be great.
Has anyone actually done what I am trying to do.... successfully?
Thanks,
Andrew

immediately.

Thank you.