ADSM-L

Re: Changing library manager servers

2005-03-04 10:50:04
Subject: Re: Changing library manager servers
From: fred johanson <fred AT UCHICAGO DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 09:49:42 -0600
I went thru this. Setting up a separate LibraryManagerServer that does
nothing other than handling tapes  is such a benefit that it outweighs
having a small AIX machine (there is not such thing any more) doing nothing
but.

However, the transition was, to use your word, cumbersome.  My first
thought was to checkout, remove=no, all those volumes whose category value
was not that of the new LMS, and then check them in search=yes
volr=whole-range owner=server.  Unfortunately, search= and owner= are
mutually exclusive.  Fortunately, I had already used a select of all data
volumes to a file.  That I used to feed the individual checkin required by
owner=.  I had to repeat the process for server2.  While the two processes
were running, over a week for almost 2000 volumes, I couldn't check in any
scratch with search=yes.

I hope someone may have found a better way.