ADSM-L

Re: Oracle RMAN TDP scheduling for Solaris

2005-03-04 03:35:30
Subject: Re: Oracle RMAN TDP scheduling for Solaris
From: Andreas Almroth <almrot_a AT MTNCAMEROON DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 09:33:19 +0100
Mark Tindall wrote:

I am new to Tivoli and am having problems trying to get scheduling
working for the TDP side of things via the TSM scheduler. I have so
far found out that I need to have 3 stanzas in the dsm.sys file - 1
for normal backups, 1 for Oracle and 1 for the scheduler for Oracle -
and that I need to run a second dsmc process which then refers to the
severname set up in the dsm.sys file for the scheduler for Oracle.
When I schedule stuff to run it seems to acually execute the script
listed in the "Command" section, though this sems to error as it is
missing some environment varuables setup? I know I can backup the
databaes fine if I either run from the command line or I use the cron
facility.

Could someone explain how I should setup the scheduling via TSM so
that it works?

Quick question; Do you execute the script as an oracle user?
Generally, the root user doesn't have Oracle specific environment.
The scheduler is probably running as root user.

I use a wrapper script that is executed as root, which executes the
actual script to be run as oracle user.
Something like;
su - oracle -c "/oracle/local/rman/run_full.sh"

The run_full.sh then contains all RMAN specific commands;
#!/bin/sh

. /oracle/db_env.sh

cd /oracle/local/rman
echo "*** Backup started at" `date` "***" >> /oracle/local/rman/backup.log
rman target / catalog rman/rman@RCAT cmdfile bkp_full_open.rcv
log="/oracle/local/rman/backup.log" append
echo "*** Backup ended at" `date` "***" >> /oracle/local/rman/backup.log

Replace username/password as fit of course. I use a file which have the
commands, but you could also re-direct into rman commands... Most likely
there are a multitiude of other neater ways of doing it...

You see that I load the db_env.sh which is containing ORACLE_HOME,
ORACLE_BASE, PATH and ORACLE_SID.

As you say it works when run locally as cron job or command line, and
that the scheduled command seems to be executed means passwords and so
are OK. I think what I have mentioned is quite likely...

Regards,
Andreas