ADSM-L

ISC in Perspective (Was: Re: [ADSM-L] Old GUI admin in 5.3?)

2005-03-03 18:57:30
Subject: ISC in Perspective (Was: Re: [ADSM-L] Old GUI admin in 5.3?)
From: Paul Fielding <paul AT FIELDING DOT CA>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 16:56:53 -0700
----- Original Message -----
From: "Sam Sheppard" <SHS AT SDDPC.SANNET DOT GOV>
With all of the 'horror' stories on the list about 5.3 and the ISC, I
was wondering if the old GUI from Version 3 will still work, at least to
the extent that it does in 5.2?

To be fair, for all my gripes about the ISC, I don't think it's so bad that
people need to consider not using it.  It has it's bugs and problems that
need to be worked out, sure.  And it's not exactly the most intuitive
interface in the world by a major stretch.  But then again, the old web
interface was not the most intuitive, either.  In some areas, the old web
interface was far better.  However, in other ways the ISC is much better
than the old web interface.

In either case, it is clear that the best approach is to use a bit of
GUIness along with a bit of CLIness to obtain the (somewhat) best of both
worlds.   In liu of an intuitive interface, one just needs to take some
extra time to understand what works well and what doesn't work well in the
ISC, and where everything is.  It's unfortunate, but by no means a deal
breaker.   After spending some time on the ISC, with a CLI at my side as
well, I was quickly navigating TSM 5.3 as I would any other version of TSM.

Hopefully IBM will listen and make (many) improvements to the ISC so that
the worst of our issues may be dealt with...

regards,

Paul