ADSM-L

Windows TSM Client: PAE/AWE enabled?

2005-03-03 15:57:28
Subject: Windows TSM Client: PAE/AWE enabled?
From: Egon Blouder <egonle AT NETSCAPE DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 15:57:10 -0500
Hi,

I am running a few huge file servers (~6-9 million files, 600GB-1.2TB data, 2GB
MEM). In order to enhance backup speed I tried to set resourceutilization to a
higher value (5-10).
After setting that value I monitored dsm process during backup. The process
uses up to 2GB memory and exits with a memory error message.
TSM Client ran out of memory.
Now I'm thinking about installing up to 8GB (max. for W2K Adv. Server)
additional memory for these clients. I'll set /PAE boot option in boot.ini in
order to enable more than 4GB of memory.

Unfortunately I cannot figure out whether TSM client (5.2/5.3) is able to use
that additional memory using Address Window Extension (AWE) API. Does anybody
know whether it's supported?

How I can feed feature request to TSM development team?

Regards,

Egonle

Links on PAE/AWE:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/memory/base/physical_address_extension.asp