ADSM-L

Re: Odd restores of old files....

2005-03-03 07:27:04
Subject: Re: Odd restores of old files....
From: asr AT UFL DOT EDU
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 07:26:48 -0500
==> On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 00:46:46 -0700, Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT
COM> said:

> 1. True, there is no built-in functionality in TSM to make this easy. You
> could try using the QUERY BACKUP client command with the -INACTIVE option
> or the SELECT admin command to display all of User x's backups, redirect
> the output to a file, and massage into individual restore commands with
> corresponding -TODATE, -TOTIME, and -LATEST options (dsmc restore c:\filea
> c:\restdata\filea_20050302221015 -todate=03/02/2005 -totime=22:10:15
> -latest).

> This is really ugly, and I have not idea how well it will run in a real
> TSM environment, but it was interesting to contemplate   :-)

Hmm.  It appears you can do this at the filespace level too, and save all the
indidual file stanzas.  You'll just be chopping it up into day-thick slices.

Start with the earliest dat of interest...

mkdir /path/to/restore/datepattern

dsmc restore /path/to/dir \
             /path/to/restore/datepattern \
             -pitdate=blah -pittime=foo \
             -subdir=yes

And then:

for each date (earliest interest ... now)
{

mkdir /path/to/restore/datepattern

dsmc restore /path/to/dir \
             /path/to/restore/datepattern \
             -fromdate=datepattern -todate=datepattern \
             -subdir=yes
}

Make sure you've got one restore tick in between each of your incrementals,
and you should be good to go.

- Allen S. Rout