ADSM-L

Odd restores of old files....

2005-03-02 17:56:11
Subject: Odd restores of old files....
From: Ben Bullock <bbullock AT MICRON DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 12:21:10 -0700
        ~Gah~, I hate it when Legal calls up on a "fishing trip"...

Here are their questions:

1.
        "Can we restore all the deleted files/versions of from UserX's
home directory so we can look at them?"

        My initial thoughts: Not too bad, but how can I deal with all
the different versions of a file? There's no TSM built-in way to restore
them all with different names unless I do it manually.

2.
        "Can we restore all of UserX's deleted files from all the
backups across the enterprise?"

        My initial thoughts: WHAT?!?! We have 800 TSM clients with 400TB
of backed up data in 600 million files!
        In our environment users have many areas they can write to: Home
directories, Departmental servers, Source-code repositories, production
areas, etc. How the heck can I find all of a users files in the TSM
backups? There are no queries that I can see that show file owners, even
though I know it is in the TSM DB somewhere. I might be able to get
ownership by running one of those undocumented "show" commands but I'm
still not sure it would work.

        What do you all think?

        I think #1 is possible but unfortunately a manual process, #2 is
way out there near the "impossible" realm.

Thanks,
Ben