ADSM-L

Re: STK 9940B Tape Drive Exp with TSM?

2005-03-01 13:28:51
Subject: Re: STK 9940B Tape Drive Exp with TSM?
From: Gerald Michalak <gmichala AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 12:13:30 -0600
We are using the 9940B drives in a STK Powderhorn silo. We have 20 drives
shared between 2 TSM servers using the Gresham software.

As to the reliability, I've seen the same problems quoted by others.
However, these seem to dissipate with use, like a long painful burn in
period.

Right now we still average 2 stuck tapes per month in these drives. These
require a service call to have a tech come out and remove the tape.

The Gresham software seems solid with some nice utilities to help manage
the drives. You'll learn to love/hate the qlock_drive utility, as it shows
which drives are locked to which server. If the process that locked the
drive, expires ??, then you will have to manually issue unlock and dismount
commands.

Some additional maintenance but we have monitoring scripts that page us
when something happens.

Good Luck.

Gerald Michalak
630-691-4819
pager 800-759-8352 # 1076423
AIX - Certified Support Technician

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 03/01/2005
10:07:29 AM: