ADSM-L

Re: WinPE Image backup problem

2005-02-25 16:08:14
Subject: Re: WinPE Image backup problem
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 14:08:06 -0700
Iain,

To which document do you refer? I am operating under the impression that
we are talking about the field guide "Tivoli Storage Manager Recovery
Techniques Using Windows Preinstallation Environment (Windows PE)"
available at http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg27005204.

It is not our policy to attribute our own names to the work of others. I
can assure you that the document was authored by the folks at IBM who are
credited on the document's title page.

The email address I found for sending feedback re: field guides is
Tivoli_eSupport_Feedback AT us.ibm DOT com. I've sent off a test email to it
(hasn't bounced yet), and from my own lookup, it appears valid.

Again, specifics about the troubles you are having would be helpful, else
there's not much I or anyone else can do.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group

The command line is your friend.

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 2005-02-25
13:32:13:

> I've backed up & restored some servers sucessfully using WinPE - but
> NOT from following the published IBM TSM procedure. The procedure
> wasn't written by IBM just published by them. It's a bad sign that
> they couldn't even manage to put an email address for reporting
> feedback that actually works, emails bounce back when sent to it.
> Iain

TSM
> >development and test, and have actually tested them before publication.
> >
> >It would help to see, in excruciating detail, exactly what you are
doing,
> >include actual copy & paste from the console (*complete*, everything)
of
> >what you are doing with TSM, along with any error log info that might
be
> >written.
> >
> >Make sure that the C: drive is not being used by anything else (i.e.
that
> >you are not CD'd into it from an OS prompt, for example).
> >
> >Regards,
> >
> >Andy
> >
> >Andy Raibeck
> >IBM Software Group
> >Tivoli Storage Manager Client Development
> >Internal Notes e-mail: Andrew Raibeck/Tucson/IBM@IBMUS
> >Internet e-mail: storman AT us.ibm DOT com
> >
> >The only dumb question is the one that goes unasked.
> >The command line is your friend.
> >"Good enough" is the enemy of excellence.
> >
> >"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 2005-02-25
> >11:19:25:
> >
> >> Well I tried using the offline and online method with Windows 2000.
> >> I get "can't lock volume" for the backup with offline.  I also get
> >> "can't lock volume" for the offline restore after a good backup.  Is
> >> that what you got Luc?
> >>
> >> Kyle
> >>
> >> TSM_User <tsm_user AT YAHOO DOT COM> wrote:
> >> Luc, I will try the online image but the thing I wanted to do was
> >> create an offline image of a Win2K3 server.
> >>
> >> Oh great one! (Andy R.), can you find out if the doc is wrong in the
> >> fact that you can't use it to create an offline backup via WinPE. If
> >> you can't then you can't I just want to know if I should do more
> >> research to try and get this to work.
> >>
> >> Kyle
> >>
> >> Luc Beaudoin wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >> I have a all opened with IBM for an issue with WINPE.
> >>
> >> But my problem is not the backup image part .. it's the restore
image...

> >> For the backup they told me to use the ONLINE image backup procedure
in
> >> the document.
> >>
> >> Just follow thew procedure for the ONLINE BACKUP and it should work
> >> Let me know if you are able to make the RESTORE IMAGE works ..
> >>
> >> If U have any questions , call me or e-mail me ....
> >>
> >> Luc Beaudoin
> >> Network Administrator/TSM/SAN
> >> Hopital General Juif S.M.B.D.
> >> Tel: (514) 340-8222 ext:8254
> >>

> >> TSM_User
> >> Sent by: "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager"
> >> Please respond to "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager"
> >>

> >> To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
> >> cc:
> >> Subject: WinPE Image backup problem
> >>

> >> I have my test lab all setup to run through the steps in the "Tivoli
> >> Storage Manager Recovery Techniques Using Windows Preinstallation
> >> Environment (Windows PE)" guide. I'm using the TSM V5.3 client and my
> >> WinPE CD is WinXP SP2.
> >>
> >> I issue the command "dsmc.exe backup image c: -imagetype=static
> >> -asrmode=yes".
> >> Communication with the TSM works and I enter the ID and password.
Then
> >> the backup fails with error message ANS1287E Volume could not be
locked.
> >> received no other errors. I get objects inspected 1 objects backed up
0.

> >> I made sure to run diskpart to verify that there was a C: and that it
> >was
> >> the correct volume I want to backup and it was.
> >>
> >> Just to see what would happen I ran "dsmc.exe i c:" and it looks like
it
> >> is running that backup OK.
> >>
> >> Has anyone else tried the WinPE Image backup and gotten it to work?
Has