ADSM-L

Re: scheduling questions

2005-02-23 16:49:36
Subject: Re: scheduling questions
From: "Stapleton, Mark" <mark.stapleton AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 15:49:23 -0600
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On
Behalf Of David Soucy
>I was wondering if some of you could share your scheduling strategies.
>For most nodes, I just use a standard daily incremental
>schedule.  The problem is that we have to keep all of our data
>for year.  So, for some servers I am keeping 365 versions of a file.
>
> I am trying to figure out a way to keep up to 14 days of
>daily backups, then maybe I keep a weekly backup for 6 months
>and I keep a monthly backup for a year.  I'm pretty sure I
>need at least 3 schedules to do this, but do I need to
>register 3 node names too?

Piece of cake. Use archives for your long-term backups. Create a weekly
archive client schedule with a six-month retention, and a monthly
archive schedule with a year's retention. You'll end up with one
nodename and three schedules, all associated with the one nodename.

Berbee Information Networks
Office 262.521.5627