ADSM-L

Re: Move HSM node

2005-02-23 16:01:30
Subject: Re: Move HSM node
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 16:00:36 -0500
On Feb 23, 2005, at 3:19 PM, Michael Prix wrote:

 a customer of mine wants to move a HSM-managed filespace from node_a
node_b. Since we are talking of ~5TB of data to be moved, I'm not fond
of restoring and remigrating this data.
  Export/Import of nodedata comes to mind, but this is the same as
restore/migrate. Are there any possibilities to move/reassign the files
within the TSM-Server?

Michael - The simplest way is to start fresh with the new node, if
possible:
          REName Node node_a node_b
After setting up empty file systems of the same name as were on node_a,
restore stubs to it.

If node_a and/or node_b already have other filespaces, you could
consider
employing -VIRTUALNodename for restorals of previously backed up data.

This approach may be good for some environments.  The alternative is the
pain of physical data migration.

    Richard Sims