ADSM-L

Re: Generate backupset with more than one node on one volume?

2005-02-23 12:05:18
Subject: Re: Generate backupset with more than one node on one volume?
From: Kolbeinn Josepsson <Kolbeinn.Josepsson AT NYHERJI DOT IS>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 17:04:06 +0000
Hi Anders,

Look at http://www.tsmmanager.com/backupsets.htm and scroll down to
Appendix A

There you can find a way to store backupsets together on physical tapes, I
would reccomend to use another TSM Server (or instance) for storing the
virtual volumes (read about the snags you vill run into if you use the
same server). Be aware in this configuration you need TSM DB backups to
secure the backupsets. Also in this configuration you will not be able to
restore backupsets without a TSM Server.

This is not a simple way, but as far as I know, this is the only way to
consolidate backupsets on physical volumes.

Best regards,
Kolbeinn Josepsson  · Systems Engineer
Tivoli Certified Consultant - IBM Tivoli Storage Manager V5.1
IBM Certified Deployment Professional - Tivoli Storage Resource Manager
V1.2
www.nyherji.is

Daniel Sparrman <Daniel.Sparrman AT EXIST DOT SE>
23.02.2005 15:42
Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Re: Generate backupset with more than one node on one volume?

Stephen,

how would that make it possible to have a backupset containing more than 1

node?

It would only make all primary(or copy) storage pool data gather on one
volume during migration/backup, which could not be read without having
access to the TSM database. Or am I missing something here?

Best Regards

Daniel Sparrman
-----------------------------------
Daniel Sparrman
Chef Utveckling & Drift
Exist i Stockholm AB
Propellervägen 6B
183 62 TÄBY
Växel: 08 - 754 98 00
Mobil: 070 - 399 27 51

"Weinstein, Stephen" <Weinstein AT DOR.STATE.MA DOT US>
2005-02-23 16:38
Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Re: Generate backupset with more than one node on one volume?

Do not specify COLLOCATION on the tape storage pool.  Then all node will
get put on one tape, or as few tapes as possible.