ADSM-L

Re: ? replace aging 3590 tapes/drives w/ LTO ?

2005-02-23 12:03:37
Subject: Re: ? replace aging 3590 tapes/drives w/ LTO ?
From: Ben Bullock <bbullock AT MICRON DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 10:03:19 -0700
        We just went though a similar exercise. We have LTO2 drives and
libraries at remote sites, and are very satisfied with them, so we were
more than willing to make the change if needed. In the end we decided to
leave our 4 3494 libraries in place and replace the 3590E drives with
3592s.

        We considered ripping out the whole thing and replacing it with
LTO2 libraries/tapes, but when we factored in the cost of the new
library/drives/computer-room rework/man-hours/etc, the cost came out
very close to replacing the 3590 drives with 3592's.

        So, we ponied up the money to upgrade all 46 drives. The process
of moving the 375TB of data to the new media took about 3 months, using
all the spare tape cycles to run "move data" processes. It was kind of a
balancing act, as you have up upgrade a whole frame at a time, and with
8 TSM servers sharing 4 libraries, making it non-disruptive was a
challenge.

        In the end, we ended up losing 82 files (non-copypooled data, on
purpose), out of about 600 million backed up files. A very impressive
statistic for tape backups. Luckily the files were non-critical (thus
justifying the non-copypooled status of the data)

        We also were having tape issues with the 3590Es, but not as bad
as yours. Since the upgrade of the drives, we have had no problems, but
with new drives and media, you would expect that. The data capacities
are GREAT with the density of data on the 3592 tapes being 10X that of
3590E tapes. It really has given me some breathing room in my libraries
and lets me sleep better at night.

Ben